Saturday, February 9, 2008

Cooking 101

I learned how to cook some N. African dishes this week. It was fun to be in the kitchen with some of my friends, and to hear their different opinions about cooking. Cooking here is like an art, and I am sure I will never be able to do it too well, but I'll try. We made Tagine, which is kind of like a Crock Pot meal, and Msimmin, which is a delicious pastry with tons of butter and oil.

Working hard... I was watching most of the time, trying to take good notes!

I'll take a try - they kept telling me that I wasn't working the dough hard enough with my hands. The women here are strong!

We started off the meal with some yummy mint tea and msimmin

And we eat... this tagine had chicken, potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, lots of spices, olives and one lemon. It was delicious!


We also went to our friend's house for lunch, and had another chicken and potato dish - I love the food here!

A picture of our city with a mosque in the background: